Save the date for this year’s Seedy Saturday Seed Swap: Saturday, Feb. 16, 2013
Wright Congregational United Church of ChristÂ
4821 W. Franklin Rd,Â Boise, ID 83705Â (Near intersection of W Franklin Rd and Orchard St. See map below.)
Saturday, February 16, From 1-4 pm
Cost: $2/adult (to help cover cost of using church & supplies)
1:00 – 4:00 p.m.
Thanks to these organizations for their support: Treasure Valley Food Coalition, BUGS (Boise Urban Garden School), Northwest Center for Alternatives to Pesticides, Idaho Botanical Garden, Edwards Nursery.
1. Participants will check in at the registration table.
2. We hope you will bring your own garden saved seed. If so, you can download andÂ fill out this Seed Identification FormÂ prior to the seed swap. (Or you will fill out the form, once you arrive.) We need to know some basic information about the seed you have saved. Please feel out one form for each variety of seed you bring to the swap. (Note: there will be 4 forms on this printout. Fill out as many as you need.),
Note: Only open pollinated seed should be shared. If youâ€™re not sure if you have an open pollinated or hybrid (F1) seed, bring it and weâ€™ll help you determine what it is.
3. We will be swapping seed in the church’s basement. Look for signs pointing to the correct entrance. Seed saving experts will be on hand to answer questions and help with the swap.
4. It isnâ€™t necessary to stay at the swap the whole time; come and go as you please or attend a workshop (see below). And best of all, you can still participate, even if you donâ€™t bring seed to share.
5. What to bring in addition to seed: completed Seed Identification Form, small seed packets, paper bags, or envelopes, pens or pencils for labeling, and paper for writing notes.
4th Annual Seedy Saturday Seed SwapÂ Demonstrations
Saturday, Feb. 16, 2013
These popular classes are designed to get you started on the basics of seed saving. Itâ€™s thrilling to capture your own seed and return it to the good earth to plant again. We have lots of time for questions, and are happy to share a wide range of resources.
1:30-2:30 pm -Â SEED SAVING 101 – Learn the basics for starting to save seed. Topics include basic botany and plantâ€™s sex lives, isolation distances, hybrid vs. OP, garden design with seed saving in mind, and much more.
2:45 – 3:45 pm – PROCESSING SEED - In the seed world there is wet seed and dry seed saving. Come learn the differences, how to know when the seed is â€śripe,â€ť and the basics of cleaning and storage.
For more information, contact Beth Rasgorshek at 697-6208; Casey O’Leary, 284-3712
“Though I do not believe that a plant will spring up where no seed has been, I have great faith in a seed. Convince me that you have a seed there, and I am prepared to expect wonders.”Â - Henry David Thoreau
Driving Directions and Parking
Wright Congregational United Church of ChristÂ is located just east of the intersection of W Franklin Rd and Orchard Street. The church and parking lot are on the south side of W Franklin Rd. There is a large parking lot. The seed swap will be held in the church basement, which you will access on the west side of the parking lot. Look for the Seed Swap banner.